Grilled Citrus Flank Steak with Green Goddess Dressing
Today, I am SUPER excited to introduce you to my friend Natalie of Guac My Life ! Natalie is from my hometown of Birmingham, AL and is one heck of a recipe developer. I mean, just look at this Grilled Citrus Flank Steak with Green Goddess Dressing! Natalie is going to be popping in here on TMIO from time to time sharing some of her delicious recipes with all of us, and I thought you might want to learn a little bit more about her, so I asked her to pretty much sum up her life in a paragraph…here it goes:
Hi guys! I’m Natalie Gravois from @guacmylife. After my daughter survived pediatric brain cancer at the age of 3 I used cooking as a form of therapy for myself. When you spend two years of your life in hospitals (while also adding 2 more little ones… I know, were crazy!) adjusting to “normal” life took us a while to get used to. I love feeding my husband and our little ones delicious meals that are not only tasty but rich in nutrients. On any given day you can usually find us in the backyard with the music turned up and the grill going! Our favorite meals are always in the Mexican food category so if it has lime, cilantro, avocado and cheese- we’re in!
Now to why you are really here – this Grilled Citrus Flank Steak with Green Goddess Dressing situation!!! The weather in Birmingham this winter has had quite a few warmer days that more or less resemble the weather here in LA. So, Natalie broke out her grill and whipped up this flank steak for her family of 5. She texted me a picture of her kids running around the yard with slices of steak in their little hands while they were playing. I mean, can you get a better endorsement than that? I think not!
Since I haven’t cooked a lot of flank steak before I had a few questions for Natalie and I figured that maybe you might want to know the answers too.
1. Why do you like flank steak as a cut of meat?
I like that it takes to marinades exceptionally well and it’s one of the easiest “steaks” to cook for a beginner! If you don’t have a grill, no problem, you can broil it and it’s just as delicious.
2. Is flank steak an expensive cut of meat?
On average it’s about $7 a pound making it a very affordable cut of meat without sacrificing on quality.
3.How does the green goddess dressing set off the favor of the meat?
I think the bright and bold flavors from the lime, basil and cilantro level out the spicy, smoky flavors from the steak. You’ll know when you take your first bite… it’s hard to not eat it with your hands!
4. Why do you slice with the grain?
We always cut with the grain, it’s personal preference I suppose. I think it looks prettier for photographing. Cutting against the grain is more popular in recipes though and will make it a little easier to chew.
So now you have your meaty main let’s talk about the 3 vegetarian main dishes that we will be pairing this Grilled Citrus Flank Steak with!
Grilled Mexican Street Corn Pizza
|| Thin slices of Natalie’s Grilled Citrus Flank Steak would be absolutely perfect atop this spicy slice of pizza! Simply prep the steak and slice it then serve the pizza and steak separately at the table so your veggie lovers and meat lovers are both happy.
Crave-Worthy Breakfast Tostadas || Hello steak and eggs! I mean, do I even need to say anymore? What’s not to love? Homemade refried black beans, crispy sweet potatoes, eggs, and avocado all piled high and served with tender, juicy steak. It’s perfection!
Sweet Potato, Beans, and Greens Tacos || These tacos are a family favorite around here, and I just know that my meat eating family members are really going to love adding flank steak to theirs!
This steak is great for topping a salad, stuffing tacos are serving alone. Grab your plate first because it’s sure to go quick!
For the steak:
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon course pink himalayan salt, separated
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 limes
- 1 (2- pound) flank steak
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
For the Green Goddess Dressing:
- 3-4 basil leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1/4 cup water, as needed
For the steak:
- In a baking dish, rub down the flank steak on both sides with avocado oil, 1 tablespoon of pink himalayan salt, black pepper and minced garlic. Once it is completely coated, pour the juice of two limes over the top and cover with plastic wrap. Place it back into the refrigerator if you are not cooking it immediately, but when you are ready to cook allow the flank steak to come to room temperature for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat the grill to medium-high. Some flames are necessary for creating an outer crust on the steak.
- Transfer the steak to the preheated grill and cook for 4 minutes on each side for medium. If it is a thicker flank steak, add 1 to 2 minutes to each side. Once cooked to desired temperature remove from the heat and cover with foil to rest.
For the dressing:
- In a blender combine the basil, green onions, avocado, cilantro, juice from the 2 remaining limes, jalapeno and salt. Puree the ingredients adding the water a little at a time until you achieve your desired texture.
- Remove the steak from the foil and slice, slice either with the grain or against the grain, into thin strips, whichever you prefer. Once it has been sliced, pour Green Goddess dressing down the middle to serve.