These kid-friendly mezze recipes aren’t only for platters like this! Swap up your kiddos lunch box routine by packing them a mezze inspired lunch.
Cucumber Hummus Roll-Ups
- 3 Persian cucumbers sliced paper-thin lengthwise with a mandoline
- Sabra classic hummus
- 1 head baby Romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup mixed herbs like basil, mint, and cilantro
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1 red bell pepper, very thinly sliced
Apple Basil Prosciutto Bites
- 1 dozen pieces of prosciutto
- 1 dozen apple slices, I use pre-sliced organic apples from Trader Joe’s
- 1 dozen large basil leaves
- 1 dozen slices of Fontina cheese, I try to make the slices about the same size as the apple slices.
- 12 bocconcini
- jarred roasted red bell peppers, drained
- 1 can artichoke hearts in water, drained and quartered
- Genoa salami
- Sabra classic hummus
- 1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts, optional
- Mixed vegetables like carrots, baby beets, radishes, spring onions, etc.
To make the Cucumber Hummus Roll-Ups
- On a flat surface arrange two thin slices of cucumber, slightly overlapping one another lengthwise. Spread a thin layer of Sabra classic hummus down the cucumbers then on one side of the cucumber strips layer on a leaf of baby Romaine lettuce, a few herbs, 3 or 4 pieces of shredded carrot, and a few bell pepper slices. Be careful not to overfill as it will be hard to roll.
- Once all of the ingredients are layered on start at the end of the cucumber with all of the veggies and tightly roll towards the other end. Use the hummus as a “glue” to seal the edges or use a pick to secure the roll together.
For the Apple Basil Prosciutto Bites
- Lay a piece of prosciutto flat on a cutting board. Starting at one edge layer on a large basil leaf, an apple slice, and a piece of fontina cheese. Starting at the edge with the fillings, wrap the prosciutto around the fillings.
For the Mezze skewers
- For meat lovers thread bocconcini, salami, a slice of artichoke heart, and a piece of roasted red pepper onto bamboo skewers.
- For veggie lovers thread bocconcini, a slice of artichoke heart, a piece of roasted red bell pepper, and a second bocconcini onto bamboo skewers.
To build the kid-friendly mezze platter
- Place bowls of hummus and olives on a large serving platter. Sprinkle toasted pine nuts over the hummus if desired. Arrange the Mezze skewers, Cucumber Hummus Roll-Ups, and Apple Basil Prosciutto Bites onto the platter. Fill any open spaces with fresh veggies, or crackers for dipping.