Easy Sheet-Pan Indian Spiced Chickpeas and Eggs
More often than not on busy weeknights I set up our dinner ‘serve yourself’ style at the bar. Everybody grabs a plate, piles it high, then we meet at the table to feast and catch up on the events of the day. It’s a fast, no-fuss dinner situation that we can’t seem to get enough of around here. Our Sheet-Pan Indian Spiced Chickpeas and Eggs is the perfect recipe for this type of buffet style dinner and it’s one our family has recently been going nuts for!
This year we have partnered with Pompeian and we love how they always challenge us to get outside of our comfort zone and try new things with their #TrendingInTheKitchen initiative. Since our kids are really just starting to branch out and try cuisines that aren’t familiar to them, we find that home is the definitely the best place to give new worldly flavors a try.
While this isn’t a traditional Indian dish, it is loaded with 4 spices that are essential in Indian cooking; cumin, coriander, turmeric and black pepper. Since we cook a lot of Mexican-inspired dishes, our kids are pretty comfortable with black pepper, cumin and coriander. However, turmeric is a pretty new flavor for them.
I love turmeric for the color that it lends to dishes as well as its pungent, earthy fragrance; plus it is really good for us too and is known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Now that our kids love it in this simple sheet pan dinner, I feel confident that we can branch out even more and make it part of our regular dinner repertoire.
- Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spray
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed, drained, and patted dry on a clean kitchen towel
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 cup cooked quinoa, plus more to serve
- 2 springs onions, white and green parts divided
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes
- lime wedges
- sliced chile peppers
- Maldon sea salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Spread the chickpeas out on a baking sheet and spray generously with Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spray, about 1 tablespoons worth. Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, and smoked paprika to the pan. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss the chickpeas to coat in the oil and spices. Add the red bell pepper strips and the white parts of the spring onion to the pan and toss to incorporate. Bake 20 minutes, shaking pan once. Remove from the oven.
- Add the cherry tomatoes to the pan. Then make 4 spaces among the chickpeas and scoop ¼ cup of the quinoa into each space, spreading out into an even layer, then spray each lightly with Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spray. Crack the eggs over the quinoa. Sprinkle the eggs with salt and pepper. Bake 5-8 minutes more until the egg whites are set and the yolks have just thickened.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves, thin slices of chile pepper, the green parts of the spring onion, Maldon sea salt flakes, and black pepper. Serve immediately with wedges of lime.