Sweet Potato Toast with Avocado and Black Bean Salsa
Can we talk about sweet potato toast?! I need to be brutally honest and say that I didn’t immediately hop on the sweet potato toast train when this insanely popular food trend first surfaced. I didn’t really get it, I mean, I could see how it would taste good, but it wasn’t one of those things that I saw on Pinterest and said to myself, “OMG!!! I have to make that!”
Over the last 6 months I kept seeing all sorts of versions of sweet potato toasts pop up in my feed and over the course of those months I slowly started thinking that maybe, just maybe this was a trend I needed to try for myself. I do really LOVE sweet potatoes after all!
So, a few weekends ago I decided to put any skepticism in my head about this burgeoning food trend aside and give it a go. I stuck with flavors I know that I really enjoy paired with sweet potatoes like black bean salsa, creamy Litehouse Avocado Dip, and pipits for a bit of crunch.
I first tried thin slices in my toaster, but decided I wanted a bit of crispiness like real toast around the edges so I opted for quickly roasting the sweet potato planks in the oven. 15 minutes later I topped them with a schemer of Litehouse Avocado Dip, my go-to black bean salsa, some salt and pepper, a few pepitas for crunch, and a hearty dose of red pepper flakes.
If you’ve never tried Litehouse Avocado Dip you are truly missing out! I’ve been keeping a container of it in the fridge for afternoon snacks, taco toppings, and a tangy dressing for my favorite Tex Mex inspired salads. It’s rich, creamy, and highly addictive!
Those little planks sure did look beautiful, but the flavor is what really blew me away. Salty, sweet, with a little kick! Exactly how I like to start my day, consider me a sweet potato toast convert. I think I might just need to explore this breakfast situation on a weekly basis!
- 1 large sweet potato, scrubbed clean then sliced lengthwise into 8-10 thin strips using a mandolin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small jalapeño, seeds and ribs removed
- ½ cup minced red onion
- ¼ cup minced cilantro
- juice of 2 large limes, about ¼ cup
- Litehouse Avocado Dip
- cilantro leaves
- red pepper flakes
- Maldon salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the sweet potato toasts on the sheet pan and lightly brush them with olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper Roast in the oven, flipping once for 15 - 20 minutes until cooked through and browning around the edges.
- Alternatively if using a toaster oven: Slice the sweet potato lengthwise into ¼ inch thick slices, place the slices of sweet potato in a toaster on high for 5 minutes or until cooked through. You will probably need to toast multiple times to cook all the way.
- While the sweet potato toasts combine the black beans, jalapeño, red onion, cilantro, and lime juice in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and black pepper and set aside to marinate.
- Spread 1 tablespoon Litehouse Avocado Dip on each sweet potato toast. To with a heaping spoonful of salsa, cilantro, and a sprinkling of pepitas. Season with red pepper flakes, Maldon salt, and pepper. Serve immediately.