We love making all sorts of beverages with this hibiscus simple syrup. Think of it like a tart grenadine! This simple syrup recipe will yield approximately 1 1/2 cups simple syrup.
For the hibiscus simple syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup dried hibiscus flowers
For the Hibiscus Italian Cream Soda
- 3-4 tablespoons hibiscus simple syrup, depending on taste
- sparkling water
- half and half
To make the simple syrup
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and steep until the syrup has cooled to room temperature. Strain out the solids, pressing with the back of a spoon to release all of the liquids. Discard the solids and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a month.
To make the Hibiscus Italian Cream Soda
- If making shaved ice, simply place a few scoops of ice into a high-speed blender and process until the mixture looks like snow. Be careful nit to overfill the blender with ice though or it will freeze up.
- Place the syrup in the bottom of the glass you will be serving in. Layer the ice in next. Fill the glass with sparkling water leaving about an inch at the top. Pour in the half and half to fill the glass. Serve immediately.