Roasted Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos
Our family travels a lot! I wish I could say it was together, but sadly more often than not we travel one or two of us at a time – and not always to the same places. It’s complicated!
Most recently it was our 13-year old daughter that went to Birmingham, Alabama for a month to work in her grandparent’s bakeries and spend time with her extended family. It is always so hard for us to let her go, but we know how much fun she has while she is there, she works hard and she earns money to pay for her beloved One Direction concert tickets. (This year she is saving for the Ultimate Fan Experience! H.E.L.P. )
Whenever one of us goes away on a long trip they get to choose the first meal together when they arrive home. In the limited time we are all together, our family has made the choice to make sure our meal times are spent gathered around the table, unplugged from our cell phones and engaged in conversations with one another. Plus, when meals are served on Dixie® paper plates, it makes for easy clean-up – which means we can spend more time connecting, and less time around the sink.
The dinner table is a sacred place for us where our kids chat freely about what’s happening in their lives, what their goals are and often times it’s where they feel safe to have more difficult conversations with us as well. For our little fruit bandit that usually means he shares with us that someone didn’t want to play superhero with him at preschool, but for Eliza the conversations can be really profound. We talk about middle school bullying, we talk about boys and her dreams and aspirations
This year Eliza chose tacos as her dinner of choice – her only stipulation was that we have lots and lots of toppings so she could pile her tacos high with all of her favorite toppings! These roasted sweet potato and black bean tacos are easy to make and come together in less than 30 minutes from start to finish. Leaving me with lots of time and energy to sit around our table and enjoy all of the moments that truly matter.
What kind of traditions do you have at your dinner table?
Swap up the flavors in these tacos by subbing in mango salsa or just plain pico de gallo – better yet, top them with guacamole and corn just cut from the cob. Any way you go these sweet potato and black bean tacos are a keeper!
For the sweet potatoes
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, cubed into 1-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
For the tacos
For the potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mound the cubed sweet potatoes onto the middle of the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil then top with salt, garlic powder, ancho and paprika. Toss with your hands to coat all of the potatoes with the oil and the spices, then spread out into an even layer on the sheet pan.
- Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes, stirring once, until the potatoes are tender on the inside but crisp and caramelized on the outside.
For the tacos
- Layer the sweet potatoes and black beans into the prepared corn tortillas then top with desired toppings like salsa, avocado, sour cream, etc.
Compensation for this post was provided by Dixie® via AOL Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Dixie or AOL.