Double the batch of Zucchini Fritter Veggie Burger’s in the recipe below and have 2 meals ready to go. Enjoy fritter’s one night and veggie burgers the next or pack the burgers for this week’s lunch! They travel great and taste amazing.
- 4 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 (15 ounce) can Cannelloni beans, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup scallions, white and green parts
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil for the pan
Pesto Yogurt Spread
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2-3 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
for the burgers
- gluten free buns, toasted
- thinly sliced red onions
- thick slices of tomato
- Butter lettuce leaves
Make the fritters
- Place the shredded zucchini in a colander set over a bowl. Sprinkle lightly with salt then let stand for 10 minutes to draw out the juices.
- While the zucchini is draining place the Cannelloni beans in a large mixing bowl and mash them with the back of a fork until they are broken down and a coarse mash has developed. Set aside.
- Transfer the zucchini to a clean tea towel, twist into a bundle and squeeze all the juices out of the zucchini. (I can usually get about 1 cup of liquid this way. If you prefer you can squeeze the juices out with your bare hands, but I don’t find it as effective) Transfer the drained zucchini to the bowl with the mashed beans.
- Add the flour, eggs, scallions, lemon zest, Parmesan cheese and almonds to the bowl then season with salt and pepper. Stir until the mixture is combined. Divide the mixture into 6 or 7 even sized portions then form into patties by hand.
- Coat the bottom of a large skillet with olive oil and place over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot add a few patties to the pan, don’t overcrowd the pan, pressing on the patty lightly with a spatula to compact. Cook for 3.5 to 4 minutes until turning golden brown, flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes or until cooked throughout. Transfer the fritters to a paper towel limed plate and immediately sprinkle with salt and pepper to season. Repeat the cooking process until all of the veggie burgers are cooked through or store any uncooked patties, tightly covered in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Make the sauce
- Combine the yogurt, pesto, lemon juice and zest in a small bowl and stir to combine, Refrigerate until ready to use.
Build your burger
- Layer toasted gluten free buns with lettuce, zucchini fritter patties, red onion and tomato. Slather the bun with yogurt sauce and serve immediately.
To achieve perfectly round veg burgers I use a round cookie cutterthat is the same size as my bun when forming the patties instead of my hands.