I have been on a total cauliflower bender lately and I'm pretty sure this Roasted Chickpea & Cauliflower Shawarma Bowls will keep my obsession going just a bit longer! I'm not really sure why I love cauliflower so much, maybe it is the fact that it is such a versatile vegetable or maybe it's just because it is super delicious. At any rate, this version is toasted with warming shawarma spices, roasted with chickpeas, and served in gigantic bowls with all of my favorite Mediterranean inspired toppings!
Roasted Chickpea & Cauliflower Shawarma Bowls are a great gluten free vegetarian main dish recipe that your entire family will love!
Besides being drop the mic delicious this meal comes together pretty darn fast with minimal hands on time making it perfect for our busy weeknight dinners and there is the added bonus that both of our kids dig this veggie roast too!
Looking for boring lunch solutions? These shawarma bowls are great layered up in mason jars too for grab and go lunches for the work week. I suggest keeping the dressing on the side though until you are ready to eat. Then drizzle some dressing in the jar, seal tight and shake, shake, shake!Print
Roasted Chickpea & Cauliflower Shawarma Bowls
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
For the shawarma
- 1 lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 large head of cauliflower broken into small florets
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
For the kale and romaine salad
- 3 tablespoons whipped garlic dip
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
- kosher salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 head romaine lettuce, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 small bunch Lacinato kale, cut into bite sized pieces
- red onion
- cherry tomatoes, halved
- flat leaf parsley
- feta cheese
Make the shawarma
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, paprika, turmeric, red pepper flakes, and cinnamon. Whisk to combine. Add the cauliflower and chickpeas to the bowl and stir until completely coated in the spice mixture. Pour the seasoned vegetables onto the prepared sheet pan in an even layer. Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes, stirring once until tender and caramelized.
For the salad
- In a small bowl combine the garlic dip, lemon juice, and olive oil with a whisk. Pour ¾ of the dressing over the romaine and kale reserving the remaining dressing for serving. Toss until all of the greens are covered.
- Divide the greens between 4 bowls, top with a generous helping of cauliflower and chickpea shawarma, then garnish with onion, tomatoes, parsley and feta. Serve immediately and drizzle with the remaining dressing if desired.