This rice is stellar on its own as a side dish, but also adds a heavy dose of flavor to bowls of chili, stews and tacos!
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ancho chile
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 cupvegan “chicken” broth, I use Massel
- ¾ cup Roasted tomatillo salsa, homemade or store-bought will work
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over, medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, ancho chile and salt. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the uncooked rice and cook, stirring constantly for another minute.
- Add the broth, salsa and water to the pan. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove the pan from the heat. Let the pan sit undisturbed for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid, add cilantro, lime juice and zest then fluff rice with a fork.Serve immediately.