- 1 cup whole milk ricotta
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose flour, I use Pamela’s
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup shredded, sweetened coconut
- ¾ cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 eggs separated
- 2 teaspoons Tahitian vanilla extract
- zest of 1 navel orange and 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed juice
- warm maple syrup
- toasted coconut
- If your ricotta is really watery, place it in a fine mesh strainer and drain off the excess liquid about 30 minutes before cooking. If the ricotta is dry you can skip this step.
- Whisk together the gluten free flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and shredded coconut in a small bowl.
- Combine the ricotta, coconut milk, egg yolks, vanilla, orange zest and orange juice in a separate, larger mixing bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring gently until just combined.
- Beat the egg whites with a handheld electric mixer until stiff. Stir a small scoop of the egg whites into the pancake batter to lighten the batter, then fold in the remaining whites.
- Heat a griddle or non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Melt a small bit of butter in the pan, just enough to coat the surface. Pour batter onto the hot griddle by the ⅓ cup full at a time. Cook the pancakes for about 3 or 4 minutes, until the undersides are golden and you see a few bubbles popping through the pancakes. Flip the pancakes and cook another 2 to 3 minutes, until golden. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve the pancakes immediately, with warm maple syrup and toasted coconut.