Don’t worry if you don’t have super dark or black cocoa simply increase the amount of regular cocoa powder to 2/3 cup!
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup super dark or black cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 egg whites, at room temperature from large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2 gluten free candy canes, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Lightly grease the parchment and set aside.
- Whisk together the sugar, cocoas, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer then beat in the egg whites and vanilla extract. You want the batter to be thick and similar in consistency to brownie batter. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Drop teaspoon size mounds on the baking sheets 2-inches apart from one another then bake for 12-14 minutes. The cookie should be glossy with cracks in the surface. Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle crushed candy canes on top of the cookies while they are still hot. Then transfer the cookies on the parchment paper to wire racks to cool completely. Line the baking sheet with another piece of parchment, grease lightly and repeat the process for the remaining batter.
This batter spreads like wild fire on the pan which is why we call for only a teaspoon sized dollop of batter at a time on the cookie sheet.