- 4 cups water
- 2 cubes Massel Gluten Free/Vegan Chicken Broth Bouillon Cubes
- 6 ears of corn, grilled & kernels removed from the cob, 1/2 cup kernels reserved for garnish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 hatch chile, stemmed and chopped (jalapeno would also work well here)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- lime cashew crema, recipe follows
- Fresh minced cilantro
- 1/2 cup grilled corn kernels
- red onion relish, recipe follows
- lime wedges
- hot sauce
Lime Cashew Crema
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed well
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 4 tablespoons full fat canned coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Red Onion Relish
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
Make the soup
- In a microwave safe bowl or on the stove heat the water until boiling and drop in the 2 cubes of Massel Gluten Free/Vegan Chicken Broth Bouillon Cubes and stir until dissolved. Set aside.
- Heat oil over medium-low heat and saute the onion and chile with a generous pinch of salt until tender and beginning to turn translucent, about 4-5 minutes stirring frequently. Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute, stirring constantly.Add the grilled corn kernels (except the 1/2 cup reserved for garnish) to the pot and stir to combine. Pour the prepared Massel broth into the pot and bring to a boil, decrease the heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- At the end of the cook time take the soup off of the heat and either use an immersion blender or transfer approximately 1 1/2 cups of the soup to a blender and pulse just until the kernels are broken down. Return the pureed liquid to the rest of the soup, this should thicken up the broth a bit.
- Add the lime juice to the soup and stir to incorporate then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with a drizzle of lime cashew crema, minced cilantro, grilled corn kernels, and red onion relish. Serve with lime wedges and hot sauce on the side.
Make the crema
- Combine the cashews, lime juice, coconut milk, water, and kosher salt in a high speed blender and puree until smooth.
Make the red onion relish
- Combine the red onion, cilantro, and lime juice in a glass bowl ad stir to mix well. Allow to stand for 10-15 minutes for the flavors to develop.