Meyer Lemon Poppy Seed Waffles
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1½ cups gluten free oat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon poppy seeds
- ¾ cup light coconut milk at room temperature
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Meyer lemon zest
Meyer lemon maple syrup
- 1 cup maple syrup
- juice from 1 Meyer lemon
- In a large bowl combine the oat flour, baking powder, salt, and poppy seeds with a whisk. In a separate large bowl combine the coconut milk, oil, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla extract , and zest- whisk well to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined. The batter will be slightly lumpy. Set the batter aside to rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat your waffle iron according to the manufacturers specifications. (For my Belgian waffle maker set it to medium-high heat. ) Pour the batter onto the preheated waffle iron (approximately ½-3/4 cup batter per waffle) and cook until crisp and golden brown.
- Place cooked waffles onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat with the remaining batter. Be careful not to stack them or they will loose their crispness. If you are cooking a big batch you may want to store the cooked waffles in a 200°F oven.
- Drizzle each one with warm Meyer lemon maple syrup before serving.
To make Meyer lemon maple syrup:
- Heat the syrup and Meyer lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium low heat until warmed through and completely combined.