A luxurious homemade vegan alternative to Starbucks non-vegan Pumpkin Spice Latte.
- 3–4 Tbsp. Pumpkin Spice Syrup
- 1 shot of espresso or about 1/2 cup of really strong brewed coffee
- Almond Milk or other plant based milk of your choice
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 1.Pour the almond milk into a frothing pitcher halfway as the heat will make the milk expand.
- 2. Place the steam nozzle just below the surface of the cold milk in its pitcher. Turn on the steam wand to release full pressure. Keep the wand right at the surface of the milk, rather than under it, so that the steam can stretch and expand the almond milk. As the milk expands you will want to slowly move the wand with the rising milk to keep the tip of the steam wand at the surface. Once the milk doubles in size, the nozzle can be placed under the milk’s surface.
- 3.Turn off the steam wand when the milk reaches about 155°F-160°F. If you see large bubbles, you can gently knock the frothing pitcher against the counter or tap it on the side. This should be enough to pop them. Set aside.
- 4.Place 3-4 tablespoons of pumpkin spice syrup in the bottom of your coffee cup. Pull 1 shot of espresso and pour it into the mug over the syrup and gently stir with a spoon to combine the two. Gently pour in the steamed almond milk by holding the froth at the top back with a spoon so that the warm steamed milk can combine with the espresso and syrup. Gently scoop mounds of the foam on top of your latte and top with freshly grated nutmeg.
- If you don’t have a milk steamer or an espresso machine, you can heat your milk on your stove top over low heat until warm. There will not be any foam on top of the latte, but it will still be tasty!
- *Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cream: Omit the espresso from the latte and add more almond milk.