- 3 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed and peeled
- 2 large Granny Smith apples
- coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small dice
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped maple spiced pecans, recipe follows
- 1 cup vegan mini marshmallows
- Preheat the ovento 350°F
- Slice the sweet potatoes and apples on a mandoline into very thin slices, removing any apple seeds. Set aside.
- Generously grease a 8 or 9-inch cast iron skillet with coconut oil. Artfully stack the sweet potato and apple slices in the skillet ( 4-6 sweet potato slices to every 1 apple slice). Continue stacking until the pan is full.
- Drizzle the maple syrup over the top of the dish then sprinkle with vanilla powder, cinnamon and dot with cubes of butter.
- Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes uncovered, or until the sweet potato slices are tender. ( Simply carefully remove a slice from the center to taste test for doneness)
- Once the sweet potatoes are tender, preheat the broiler then arrange the marshmallows around the outside of the pan. Place the pan under the broiler keeping an eye on it until the marshmallows are toasted. Sprinkle with maple spiced pecans and serve immediately.
Maple Spiced Pecans:
- 8 ounces raw pecan halves
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon gluten free orange extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- zest of 1 orange
- Pre-heat the oven to 350° F with the rack in the middle. Place nuts in a single layer on parchment or silicone baking mat lined sheet pan. Roast until fragrant about 8-10 minutes. Stirring once during the cook time. Reduce the oven temperature to 300° F.
- In a medium saucepan bring the maple syrup, sea salt, orange extract, pumpkin pie spice and fresh cracked pepper to a boil over medium high heat. Once the mixture has boiled, remove from the heat and toss the roasted pecans in the mixture with a heat proof spatula.
- Evenly spread the pecans back onto the lined sheet pan, making sure that they are in an even layer, and grind a few rounds of fresh cracked black pepper over the top again. *If you love pepper use more, if you aren’t the biggest fan skip this step all together. Bake the nuts for 12-15 minutes, when the nuts are done cooking immediately add the orange zest to the sheet pan and let cool completely.
- Remove from oven and let the nuts cool, as they cool the maple sauce will harden and they will become easier to remove from your tray.