This watermelon, berry, and basil salad really highlights the best that the summer season has to offer! It comes together relatively quickly and feeds a crowd. Be sure to allow an hour for the flavors to marinate though before serving!
- 1 1/2 cup blanched, slivered almonds
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (3-4 pound) seedless watermelon, rind removed, cut into thin wedges
- 4 pints raspberries,washed
- 2 pints strawberries, washed, hulled, halved
- 3/4 cup finely shredded fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the almonds onto it in a single layer. Toast for 5-10 minutes – stirring the pan halfway through if the almonds on the outer edge are browning too quickly. Toast until the almonds are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, stir the water, lime juice, and sugar in a medium sized saucepan over low heat for 5 minutes or until the sugar is dissolved, Set aside to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine the watermelon, raspberries, strawberries, and half of the basil. Drizzle the lime syrup over the fruit and toss to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1 hour to chill so that the flavors can develop.
- When ready to serve use a slotted spoon to scoop the melon and berries onto a large platter so that most of the excess syrup stays in the bowl. Sprinkle the almonds and remaining basil over the top of the salad. Serve immediately.
Make the lime simple syrup up to a week before your party and store in a large air tight jar in the refrigerator.
Toast the almonds up to 2-3 days in advance of your party and store in an airtight container at room temperature.
If you find that you do not need all of the lime simple syrup keep it in the fridge to sweeten cocktails or fresh pressed juices.