- 1 (28-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 small red onion, halved and peeled
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1 pound ricotta cheese
- 12 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
- 2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely grated
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 crown of broccoli, cut into florets and steamed
- 12 gluten free lasagna noodles, cooked until al dente
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the tomatoes, red onion halves and butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Season with salt and pepper then bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, discard the onion halves and set the sauce aside.
- Combine the eggs, ricotta, 1/2 of the shredded mozzarella, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, and the lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the “S” blade pulse the steamed broccoli until it is broken down into small uniform pieces. Add the riced broccoli to the ricotta mixture and stir to combine.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the pasta sauce in an even layer across the bottom of a 13×9-inch baking pan. Then working with one lasagna noodle at a time, blot any liquid off the noodle then spread 1/3 cup of the ricotta mixture onto the top of the noodle, then carefully roll the noodle from end to end beginning at a short side. Place the rolled lasagna noodles seam-side down into the baking dish. Repeat the process with the remaining pasta and ricotta mixture until the baking pan is full.
- Spread the remaining sauce over the top of the lasagna rolls and sprinkle with the remaining shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the cheese are melted and the sauce is bubbling. Serve immediately.