As far as we are concerned, comfort food is where it is at — and these Broccoli and Ricotta Lasagna Rolls hit all of the cozy comfy vibes in our house and then some! Chilly winter evenings just long for cheesy baked pasta dishes and a glass of wine, don’t they?
I have been a fan of lasagna rolls since I was a kid. They were actually the very first savory dish I mastered when I was about 10 and started cooking for my family a few nights a week. I swear, I must have made more variations of lasagna roll sin my teenage years than most people do in a lifetime. I was totally obsessed with them.
This version, stuffed with steamed, riced broccoli and garlic is one that I came up with up for my kid’s a few years ago. They both really dislike spinach in all its forms, so a more traditional lasagna roll up recipe will probably never again grace my family table. (That is, of course, unless mother nature smiles on me and their taste buds change….the oldest has hated it for 15-years though, so we are probably out of luck!)
I love the little burst of flavor that the lemon zest lends to the filling. Since ricotta cheese is very mild in flavor the zest really helps to brighten up what could otherwise be a very one note filling.
The process to make these rolls is simple. You prepare your noodles, sauce, and filling. Then create an assembly line of sorts. You will lay one lasagna noodle on a flat surface, top it with a dollop of the broccoli and ricotta filling and spread it thin the entire length of the noodle. Then starting at one end you will start to roll the noodle up into a spiral.
Once you have made one you will definitely see how easy it is! Then all you have to do is layer the lasagna rolls, one by one, into your baking pan. Ladle over the tomato sauce then top with cheese!! All that’s left is a short bake in the oven. Trust me, your family will notice the lengths you’ve gone to to create these delicious lasagna rolls and will be begging for seconds!
If you’ve made these Broccoli & Ricotta Lasagna Rolls or any of the other recipes on our site, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you thought in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, TWITTER, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food, design, and decor.Print
Broccoli and Ricotta Lasagna Rolls
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 dozen lasagna rolls 1x
- Category: Gluten Free
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 (28-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 small red onion, halved and peeled
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1 pound ricotta cheese
- 12 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
- 2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely grated
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 crown of broccoli, cut into florets and steamed
- 12 gluten free lasagna noodles, cooked until al dente
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the tomatoes, red onion halves and butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Season with salt and pepper then bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, discard the onion halves and set the sauce aside.
- Combine the eggs, ricotta, 1/2 of the shredded mozzarella, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, and the lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the “S” blade pulse the steamed broccoli until it is broken down into small uniform pieces. Add the riced broccoli to the ricotta mixture and stir to combine.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the pasta sauce in an even layer across the bottom of a 13×9-inch baking pan. Then working with one lasagna noodle at a time, blot any liquid off the noodle then spread 1/3 cup of the ricotta mixture onto the top of the noodle, then carefully roll the noodle from end to end beginning at a short side. Place the rolled lasagna noodles seam-side down into the baking dish. Repeat the process with the remaining pasta and ricotta mixture until the baking pan is full.
- Spread the remaining sauce over the top of the lasagna rolls and sprinkle with the remaining shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the cheese are melted and the sauce is bubbling. Serve immediately.