I’m not even gonna try to deny it….I’ve eaten these Easy Skillet Eggs with Kale and Leeks for 3 out of 5 of my last meals! Seriously, delicious, hearty egg dishes don’t get any easier or tastier than this.
This recipe has been in my constant rotation for years, I’m not really sure why it hasn’t made its way to our archives yet. It’s pretty much the little black dress of egg dishes in my opinion – it’s simple but leaves a lasting impression. It’s not overly fussy, it compliments just about anything you serve along with it and the best part, it’s completely customizable and can be made with literally endless combinations of items you have on hand in your fridge.
This meal is so simple that I don’t even mind messing up 2 skillets – one for my vegetarian hubby and one for my bacon loving children and myself! The only key to making sure this dish tastes like perfection every single time you make it is to use good quality eggs like Simple Truth Organic eggs from Ralphs. Their eggs are always super fresh with yolks that cook up super rich and velvety making a luscious sauce that just melts into the greens.
How you garnish this dish is completely up to you – I really like sprinkling mine with homemade dukkah spice while my hubby prefers a heafty splash of hot sauce. The sky’s the limit my friend – season however you desire!Print
Easy Skillet Eggs with Kale and Leeks
This recipe calls for bacon, but if you are vegetarian simply omit the bacon and use the optional olive oil instead.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 17 mins
- Total Time: 22 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 2 pieces of bacon, diced into small pieces (***if vegetarian use 2 tablespoons of olive oil instead***)
- 1 leek, white part only, sliced thin
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale, ribs removed and leaves shredded into thin ribbons
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup goat cheese, softened
- homemade dukkah spice for serving, optional
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- If using bacon heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the chopped bacon to the pan. Cook until the bacon pieces are slightly crisped. Drain the fat, keeping the bacon pieces in the pan. (***If making a vegetarian version heat the olive oil over medium to medium-high heat in a large skillet. ***)
- Add the leeks, green onions, and minced garlic to the pan. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently until the onions are soft and golden. Add the kale to the pan, gently turning the leaves with tongs until they have wilted down about 2-3 minutes. Add the lemon juice and olive oil to the pan and stir to combine, remove from the heat.
- Make 4 wells in the greens and carefully break an egg into each well. Season with red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper then dollop tablespoon pieces of goat cheese around the skillet. Bake in the preheated oven 10-12 minutes until the eggs are just set.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkling dukkah spice if desired.
***This post was sponsored by our friends at Ralphs grocery, all thoughts and opinions are our own.