Don't just limit this smoky tinga sauce to cauli tacos! Save any leftover sauce for drizzling over egg dishes, spreading a top quesadilla's, or even slathering your black bean patty for an epic veggie burger!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 heaped cup large dice red onion
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 3 tomatillos, husks removed and cut into quarters
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 3 chipotles en adobo + 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from the can
- 2 scallions, chopped white and green parts
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup vegan chicken broth ( I use 1 cup hot water + Massel All Purpose Bouillon and Seasoning Granules, chicken flavor )
- juice of 1 orange
- 6 cups cauliflower florets, about 1 1/2 heads
- sour cream or cashew cream if vegan
- Spicy Mexican Slaw
- roasted pepita seeds
- lime wedges
- 12 white corn tortillas, grilled
Make the cauli tinga
- Heat the oil in a large braising pan or deep frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion to the pan and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until softened and turning translucent, about 6-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and tomatillos to the pan and cook for 3 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Add the tomatoes, chipotles, adobo sauce, scallions, and vegan "chicken" broth. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
- Transfer the tinga sauce to a blender and add the orange juice. Blend until smooth, taste and season with more salt and pepper.
- Return the tinga sauce to the braising pan and add the cauliflower florets. Bring to a simmer, partially cover and let cook for 10-12 minutes until the cauliflower is tender and cooked through.
Assemble the tacos
- Spread a grilled tortilla with sour cream or cashew cream, top with cauli florets and a drizzle of tinga sauce. Top with slaw and pepitas. Serve immediately with lime wedges.