- 1 pound zucchini
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 cups spinach
- 1 cup torn basil leaves
- ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, coarsely grated
- 1 1/2 tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ¼–1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 large basil leaves, chiffonade
- With a mandolin, slice the zucchini into thin rounds. Place the slices into a large colander set over a bowl and toss with 3/4 teaspoon salt; leave uninterrupted for 20 minutes to drain.
- Rinse the slices well, drain and pat dry with a kitchen towel.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the spinach and basil. Toss gently to combine then sprinkle with ¼ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle 1 ½ tablespoons oil and lemon juice over the greens and toss together.
- Arrange the greens on a platter and top with the zucchini. Sprinkle the remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano, pine nuts, lemon zest, red pepper flakes and chiffonade basil over the top. Serve immediately.