Compensation for this post was provided by Huhtamaki Inc. for the Chinet® brand via AOL Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Huhtamaki Inc. for the Chinet® brand or AOL.
Let the countdown to summer begin! We officially only have 5 weeks until school is out for summer here in So Cal and I can hardly wait. I am already planning long, leisurely beach days with the kids and lots of al fresco dining with friends and family.
I swear there just isn’t anything more relaxing than dining in the open air! When the weather is hot and I am yearning to get outdoors I have a few go-to, no cook recipes that are easy to make, but so delicious that my friends and family think I slaved away in the kitchen all day. This Zucchini Carpaccio with Spinach and Basil Salad totally fits the bill – easy, fast and boy does it make a delicious impression!
The only thing that could potentially wreck my summertime vibes after a day full of great food, friends and sun would be a mountain of dishes to haul home and wash. So, this year I am making things a bit easier on myself and keeping a stash of Chinet® Classic White™ plates and napkins on hand in our picnic basket.
The convenience that comes with a short cut like paper plates used to leave me with a bit of guilt, but I don’t even feel bad about taking the convenient route now knowing that the Chinet® products I am packing are eco-friendly and compostable! All I have to worry about is relaxing and having a good time, bring on summer!
For more entertaining inspiration visit mychinet.com!Print
Easy Zucchini Carpaccio with Spinach and Basil Salad
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 pound zucchini
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 cups spinach
- 1 cup torn basil leaves
- ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, coarsely grated
- 1 1/2 tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ¼–1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 large basil leaves, chiffonade
- With a mandolin, slice the zucchini into thin rounds. Place the slices into a large colander set over a bowl and toss with 3/4 teaspoon salt; leave uninterrupted for 20 minutes to drain.
- Rinse the slices well, drain and pat dry with a kitchen towel.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the spinach and basil. Toss gently to combine then sprinkle with ¼ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle 1 ½ tablespoons oil and lemon juice over the greens and toss together.
- Arrange the greens on a platter and top with the zucchini. Sprinkle the remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano, pine nuts, lemon zest, red pepper flakes and chiffonade basil over the top. Serve immediately.