Have leftover stuffing? I love toasting leftover stuffing under the broiler until crisp and topping with a fried egg for breakfast. So so good!!
- 1 1/2 sticks butter or vegan butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage, divided
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped and fronds reserved
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 apple, cored and chopped with skin on
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups vegan “chicken” broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 6 gluten free sourdough rolls, I use Bread Srsly brand, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups cooked Beluga lentils
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- pickled cranberries, optional
- fennel fronds
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 13×9 inch baking pan. (You can also use two smaller pans if desired)
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a large sauce pan. When the butter has melted add 1 tablespoon of the sage, the onion, fennel, carrot and celery.
- Cook for 6-7 minutes until the onion are translucent and the vegetables have softened. Add the garlic, apples and a generous amount of salt and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes then add the broth and the cream to the pan then season again with salt and pepper if needed. Saute for 1-2 minutes more.
- Place the cubed bread into a large mixing bowl and add the lentils, cranberries and remaining sage.
- Pour the cooked vegetable mixture over the bread and stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan and bake for 45-60 minutes stirring at least once.
- Right before serving sprinkle the optional pickled cranberries and the fennel fronds over the stuffing.