Hands down, my favorite dish on the Thanksgiving table is the stuffing! My grandmother knew this about me early on in life and started making an extra pan of stuffing every year for the holiday’s just so that I could eat my weight in it.
I am so in love with this stuffing- the gluten free Bread Srsly sourdough rolls that I love so much for veggie burgers takes the flavor of this stuffing to the next level! The usual stuffing ingredients are all here too; onion, carrot, celery and garlic…plus I added in some fennel and Beluga lentils this year. I just love fennel and lentils together, it is unexpected, but so delicious! Don’t even get me started on the pickled cranberries scattered across the top because I am legitimately obsessed with them. I have been topping all of my fall creations with these little tart and tangy jewels and using the pickling liquid for fall inspired cocktails too!Print
Have leftover stuffing? I love toasting leftover stuffing under the broiler until crisp and topping with a fried egg for breakfast. So so good!!
- 1 1/2 sticks butter or vegan butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage, divided
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped and fronds reserved
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 apple, cored and chopped with skin on
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups vegan “chicken” broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 6 gluten free sourdough rolls, I use Bread Srsly brand, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups cooked Beluga lentils
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- pickled cranberries, optional
- fennel fronds
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 13×9 inch baking pan. (You can also use two smaller pans if desired)
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a large sauce pan. When the butter has melted add 1 tablespoon of the sage, the onion, fennel, carrot and celery.
- Cook for 6-7 minutes until the onion are translucent and the vegetables have softened. Add the garlic, apples and a generous amount of salt and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes then add the broth and the cream to the pan then season again with salt and pepper if needed. Saute for 1-2 minutes more.
- Place the cubed bread into a large mixing bowl and add the lentils, cranberries and remaining sage.
- Pour the cooked vegetable mixture over the bread and stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan and bake for 45-60 minutes stirring at least once.
- Right before serving sprinkle the optional pickled cranberries and the fennel fronds over the stuffing.