I like to prep the pickled fennel and the thinly sliced veggies in advance then store them in the fridge for easy sandwich assembly for the week.
For the Citrus Pickled Fennel
- 1–2 fennel bulbs, stalks removed
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- zest of 2 medium lemons, about 2 tablespoons lemon zest
For the Green Goddess Sandwich Spread
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup packed herbs fresh basil leaves, parsley, cilantro all work great
- 1/2 cup packed green onion (dark green part only, not white)
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- pepper to taste
- 4 Ozery One Buns
- 4–6 leaves bibb or butter lettuce
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 Persian cucumbers sliced very thin
- 1 green tomato sliced thin
- pickled fennel
- 4 thick deli slices of Swiss cheese
Make the Citrus Pickled Fennel
- Slice the fennel into very thin slivers on a mandolin.Thoroughly rinse and set aside.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. In the meantime, tightly pack the sliced fennel into a large glass jar and set aside. Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the brine to cool slightly, about a minute. Pour the brine into the jar, being sure to cover the fennel completely. Allow to cool to room temperature. Seal the jar with a tight fitting lid. When kept covered and chilled, the pickles will keep well for 1-2 weeks.
Make the Green Goddess Sandwich Spread
- Add the garlic clove to a high powered blender or food processor and process until finely chopped.
- Add in the dates, water, oil, avocado, herbs and onion. Process until smooth. Finally, add in the lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- Store in an air tight container or jar in the fridge. Keeps for about 5 days.
Assemble the sandwich
- Spread the Green Goddess Sandwich Spread on one side of the Ozery One Bun. Layer on a leaf or two of lettuce followed by a 1/4 cup shredded carrots, a layer of cucumber slices, 1-2 slices of green tomato, and a hearty helping of pickled fennel (allow the pickling liquid to drain off slightly before adding it to the sandwich). Top the veggies with a slice of Swiss cheese then spread Green Goddess Sandwich Spread on the remaining Ozery One Bun half. Enjoy immediately.