This post is sponsored by Ozery, and we received compensation and product in exchange for it. Opinions are always our own. If we don’t love it, you don’t hear about it. Thanks for your continued support!
Most of the time I create recipes with other people in mind, but these Green Goddess Sandwiches are all about ME and I’m thinking that you might be indulging in one yourself pretty soon too!
I know, I know its December, the season of cookies, cocktails, and over indulgence, but sometimes you just gotta take a break from all of that holiday noise and feast on a meal that fills you up and leaves you feeling amazing!
Mid-post confession: I am a sandwich lover, always have been, always will be. Honestly, I could eat a sandwich for every meal of the day and it would never, ever get old!
These Green Goddess Sandwiches are the latest sandwich creation to come out of my kitchen and it’s a real winner! Let me break it down for you, it starts off with one of my favorite treat yo’ self products, the One Bun! This incredible thin bun from Ozery is light and tender, but hearty enough to hold on to a generous dollop or two of my favorite homemade green goddess sandwich spread. Then it’s loaded with all the sandwich essentials; butter lettuce, thinly sliced green tomatoes, cucumber, shredded carrots, a slice of Swiss, and a heaping pile of citrus pickled fennel!
This sandwich is sure to energize your body and give you that coveted goddess glow from the inside out amidst this hurried holiday season.
Want to find Ozery products near you? Just click here for a store locator!
I like to prep the pickled fennel and the thinly sliced veggies in advance then store them in the fridge for easy sandwich assembly for the week.
For the Citrus Pickled Fennel
- 1–2 fennel bulbs, stalks removed
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- zest of 2 medium lemons, about 2 tablespoons lemon zest
For the Green Goddess Sandwich Spread
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup packed herbs fresh basil leaves, parsley, cilantro all work great
- 1/2 cup packed green onion (dark green part only, not white)
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- pepper to taste
- 4 Ozery One Buns
- 4–6 leaves bibb or butter lettuce
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 Persian cucumbers sliced very thin
- 1 green tomato sliced thin
- pickled fennel
- 4 thick deli slices of Swiss cheese
Make the Citrus Pickled Fennel
- Slice the fennel into very thin slivers on a mandolin.Thoroughly rinse and set aside.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. In the meantime, tightly pack the sliced fennel into a large glass jar and set aside. Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the brine to cool slightly, about a minute. Pour the brine into the jar, being sure to cover the fennel completely. Allow to cool to room temperature. Seal the jar with a tight fitting lid. When kept covered and chilled, the pickles will keep well for 1-2 weeks.
Make the Green Goddess Sandwich Spread
- Add the garlic clove to a high powered blender or food processor and process until finely chopped.
- Add in the dates, water, oil, avocado, herbs and onion. Process until smooth. Finally, add in the lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- Store in an air tight container or jar in the fridge. Keeps for about 5 days.
Assemble the sandwich
- Spread the Green Goddess Sandwich Spread on one side of the Ozery One Bun. Layer on a leaf or two of lettuce followed by a 1/4 cup shredded carrots, a layer of cucumber slices, 1-2 slices of green tomato, and a hearty helping of pickled fennel (allow the pickling liquid to drain off slightly before adding it to the sandwich). Top the veggies with a slice of Swiss cheese then spread Green Goddess Sandwich Spread on the remaining Ozery One Bun half. Enjoy immediately.