- 1/2 cup table salt
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1 cup all purpose gluten free flour
- clear varnish
- In a dry mixing bowl combine the salt and gluten free flour, mix until fully blended. Add the water and use your hands to knead until the surface is soft and smooth. If your dough is having a hard time coming together you can add more warm water a teaspoon at a time, kneading between each addition until the dough sticks into one large mass.
- Roll the dough into a large ball and portion out smaller balls to each person making tags. Cover with a slightly damp cloth to keep the unused balls from drying out while you are busy creating.
- Roll out the dough into thin slabs then make impressions in the dough by laying doilies or lace over the dough and roll the rolling pin over the surface again applying pressure to create a pattern. Cut the dough into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Once your ornaments are complete, place a toothpick at the top of each ornament to create the hole needed to string it later.
- Bake at 200° F for 4-6 hours to completely evaporate the moisture from the dough. Once dry, use acrylic paint or spray paint to decorate, then spray with clear varnish to seal the ornament.