When making the simple syrup don’t throw out the solids that you strain out at the end of the cooking time. They make an amazing jam for toast!
For the rhubarb citrus simple syrup
- 5 cups roughly chopped rhubarb
- peel of 1 navel orange, white pith removed if possible
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
For the rhubarb ginger beer margarita
- 1/4 cup rhubarb simple syrup
- 1 1/4 ounce Blanco tequila
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- ginger beer, we always use Bundaberg brand
To make the syrup
- Combine the rhubarb, orange peel, sugar, and water in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb has completely broken down and the liquid has thickened. About 20-25 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Set a fine-mesh strainer over a large bowl and pour the rhubarb mixture into it pressing on the solids with a wooden spoon to release all of the liquids. Transfer the syrup to an airtight container and stir in the refrigerator. (To save the “jam” simply remove the orange peels and transfer the rhubarb solids to an airtight container and stir in the fridge.)
To make a Rhubarb Ginger Beer Margarita
- If garnishing with rhubarb, wrap thin strips of rhubarb around the inside of the serving glass. Combine the simple syrup, tequila, and lime juice in the serving glass. Stir to combine, fill with ice and top with ginger beer. Stir again right before serving. Top with skewers filled with candied ginger and lime wheels if desired.
Keywords: rhubarb, cocktail, ginger beer, tequila, margarita