It’s officially one of my favorite weeks of the year because Cinco de Mayo is only a few days away and it’s also Hola Jalapeños #MargaritaWeek. I mean, what’s not to love – an endless buffet of Mexican food inspiration on the internet and enough margarita recipes to keep us going for the entire year! So without further ado, I give you quite possibly my favorite margarita creation EVER, Rhubarb Ginger Beer Margaritas! They’re sweet from a rhubarb simple syrup, have just the right amount of freshly squeezed citrus juice, tequila, and lots of spicy ginger beer. Basically, they’re the perfect margarita for spring, all dressed up with a fancy fresh rhubarb ribbon in the glass!
Maybe you remember last year’s margarita week creation was an irresistible Hibiscus Key Lime Margarita….
Trust me that sensational sip has been on repeat around here for a full 12 months, but this year’s rhubarb ginger beer margaritas have quickly soared past them on our “Best margarita we’ve ever had!” rating chart.
The rhubarb citrus simple syrup recipe for our Rhubarb Ginger Beer Margaritas is super easy to make and it honestly probably makes enough for a party if sharing is your thing. Plus, the added bonus is that the rhubarb and citrus peel solids that are strained out after the cooking process makes the most incredible jam that we use to spread on Rhubarb Jam and Vanilla Scented Goat Cheese Crostini that’s topped with loads of fresh strawberries and cracked black pepper! You know what they say…waste not want not!
If you’ve made my Rhubarb Ginger Beer Margaritas I would be so grateful if you would rate the recipe and let me know what you think in the comments below, I just love hearing from you and your reviews and comments really help others that visit This Mess is Ours.
Want to be a part of our online community outside of the blog? It’s easy!! All you have to do is follow @THISMESSISOURS on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, TWITTER, YOUTUBE, or PINTEREST to see cooking demos, live #CoronaCall ‘s, and peeks into our day to day life.
I know that you have the power to #choosewhatyouconsume and I am just SO honored that you have made the choice to spend a little bit of your time here with us, thank you!Print
Rhubarb Ginger Beer Margaritas
When making the simple syrup don’t throw out the solids that you strain out at the end of the cooking time. They make an amazing jam for toast!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: approx 2.5 cups syrup for multiple cocktails / 1 cocktail per recipe 1x
- Category: Cocktails
- Method: Stovetop & Stirred
- Cuisine: Cocktails
- Diet: Gluten Free
For the rhubarb citrus simple syrup
- 5 cups roughly chopped rhubarb
- peel of 1 navel orange, white pith removed if possible
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
For the rhubarb ginger beer margarita
- 1/4 cup rhubarb simple syrup
- 1 1/4 ounce Blanco tequila
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- ginger beer, we always use Bundaberg brand
To make the syrup
- Combine the rhubarb, orange peel, sugar, and water in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb has completely broken down and the liquid has thickened. About 20-25 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Set a fine-mesh strainer over a large bowl and pour the rhubarb mixture into it pressing on the solids with a wooden spoon to release all of the liquids. Transfer the syrup to an airtight container and stir in the refrigerator. (To save the “jam” simply remove the orange peels and transfer the rhubarb solids to an airtight container and stir in the fridge.)
To make a Rhubarb Ginger Beer Margarita
- If garnishing with rhubarb, wrap thin strips of rhubarb around the inside of the serving glass. Combine the simple syrup, tequila, and lime juice in the serving glass. Stir to combine, fill with ice and top with ginger beer. Stir again right before serving. Top with skewers filled with candied ginger and lime wheels if desired.
Keywords: rhubarb, cocktail, ginger beer, tequila, margarita