I don’t have many pet peeves, but I do have one big one that I am always trying to figure out how to navigate around; food waste! Nothing drives me crazier than perfectly good ingredients like carrot tops or beet leaves being thrown away because someone doesn’t know how to use them. It literally breaks my heart!
The recipe for these irresistible Rhubarb Jam & Vanilla Scented Goat Cheese Crostini made with Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil is a tasty little homage to the root to leaf food movement that I am so passionate about. If you aren’t sure what I mean when I say “root to leaf” let me fill you in. Root to leaf cooking, like nose to tail cooking, uses all parts of the plant including the less conventional – and often wasted – parts of vegetables.
Wondering exactly what I used in this recipe that would make this a root to leaf recipe? Well, that rhubarb jam is actually the leftover solids from making a rhubarb citrus simple syrup for margaritas. Whenever I read infused simple syrup recipes the instructions often call for discarding the solids and in some cases you do have to do that, but when it comes to this particular simple syrup recipe those rhubarb solids turn into the dreamiest jam you have ever tasted.
I can’t think of a better recipe to kick off our new partnership with the wonderful folks at Pompeian! The whole concept of root to stalk eating is just as near and dear to their hearts as it is ours. A quick peek in my pantry would reveal that we are truly huge fans of the Pompeian brand. I am so excited to be working with them in the months to come to create lots of really amazing recipes that are currently #TrendingInTheKitchen!
Don’t throw out the vanilla bean pod when you are done with it either. Make vanilla sugar instead! Simply place the scraped vanilla bean pod in a small spice jar and fill with granulated sugar. Shake well and allow to sit for a week or so for the flavors to infuse before using. Vanilla sugar is really great sprinkled over baked goods, in a cup of coffee, or in your morning bowl of cereal.
- 1 gluten-free baguette, sliced into rounds
- 2 tablespoons Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 ounces goat cheese, softened
- 1 vanilla bean, split open seeds scraped out.
- 1 batch rhubarb jam
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Preheat a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly brush both sides of the baguette pieces with Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Place the baguette slices in the skillet and toast until crispy and golden brown.
- In a small bowl combine the softened goat cheese and vanilla beans. Stir to combine, set aside.
- When the baguette slices are toasted to your liking allow to cool slightly then spread a thin layer of goat cheese over the top. Spread a layer of rhubarb jam over that then arrange strawberry slices on top. Season with freshly cracked black pepper to taste, serve immediately.