Mexican Hot Chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 tablespoons – 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar, depending on desired sweetness
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- In a saucepan whisk together the cocoa powder, sugar, cinnamon, salt and 1/2 cup milk over medium-low heat until dissolved.
- Whisk in the rest of the milk and heat the cocoa over medium heat until hot, stirring occasionally.
- Once hot stir in the vanilla and serve immediately with marshmallows if desired.