Cold weather is here and that means a hot chocolate recipe, this time with a traditional Mexican flair. Fall is officially in full swing over here and I'm finding that the chaos of having two kids in school this year is starting to feel routine instead of abnormal. We have sort of found our groove in this new season of our lives and honestly, I'm really digging it!
Kash and I have found that afternoons are where we now find our special one on one time. Lately we have been mixing up a little pot of Mexican hot chocolate and sharing a few gluten free apple, almond and peanut dark chocolate goodnessknows snack squares while we catch up on his day at school and get started on homework.
The whole family will love this Mexican Hot Chocolate Recipe.
A few months back we introduced you to goodnessknows snack squares in our daughter Eliza's, lunch box. These little gluten free gems have become a staple in our snack drawer and a huge life saver when hanger sets in! I've been packing them in lunches, stashing them in volleyball back packs and hoarding them in my purse. They are just too easy and too delicious not too!
I wouldn't pass up these little moments for anything, as my kids are rapidly growing before my eyes I feel like I have to grab onto these precious blips of time before they are gone. Having ready made snacks like goodnessknows snack squares at the ready make afternoon hot chocolate dates with my little man delicious, wholesome and easy!
Looking to learn a little more about goodnessknows?
- In addition to being delicious, goodnessknows snack squares are now gluten free. Look for new product packaging in store that is marked with “gluten free” on the label.
- To find where you can purchase goodnessknows near you, please click here!
If you’ve tried this Mexican Hot Chocolate Recipe, I would be so grateful if you would rate it. Let me know what you think in the comments below. I just love hearing from you, and your reviews and comments really help others that visit This Mess is Ours!Print
Mexican Hot Chocolate
Don’t forget to rate the recipe, and let me know what you think about this Mexican Hot Chocolate in the comments below. I just love hearing from you. Your reviews/comments really help other people that visit This Mess is Ours!
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 tablespoons – 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar, depending on desired sweetness
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- marshmallows, optional
- In a saucepan whisk together the cocoa powder, sugar, cinnamon, salt and ½ cup milk over medium-low heat until dissolved.
- Whisk in the rest of the milk and heat the cocoa over medium heat until hot, stirring occasionally.
- Once hot stir in the vanilla and serve immediately with marshmallows if desired.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of goodnessknows. The opinions and text are all mine.
Want to be a part of our online community outside of the blog? It’s easy!! All you have to do is follow @THISMESSISOURS on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, TWITTER, YOUTUBE, or PINTEREST to see cooking demos and peeks into our day to day life.
What are the health benefits of cinnamon?
Cinnamon is a spice that is loaded with antioxidants that have significant medicinal and anti-inflammatory properties which improve overall health. It also helps to lower blood sugar levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
Click here for more information on the health benefits of cinnamon.