The pesto recipe makes more than you will need for these sandwiches. Use the extra on pizza, over scrambled eggs, or tossed with pasta!
- 1/4 cup basil paste or 20 fresh basil leaves
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup spinach pesto
- 6 fresh organic strawberries, sliced
- 8 ounces fontina cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 8 slices of bread of choice
To make the Spinach Pesto
- In a food processor, combine all of the Spinach Pesto ingredients and blend until smooth.
To make the Strawberry-Pesto Melt
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Alternatively, you can use a toaster oven.
- Spread an even layer of Spinach Pesto onto one side of the bread slices and then top with a single layer of strawberries. Add some fontina cheese and a few sprinkles of feta cheese. Top with the other slice of bread and place the sandwiches on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through until the cheese is completely melted and the bread is toasted.