I am just going to go ahead and let you know that I am going to be strawberry obsessed from now clear through the end of summer. Combine that with a sandwich with pesto and I’m in heaven. Honestly, I can’t seem to go a day without indulging in one of these Strawberry Pesto Melts from Kelly of Nosh and Nourish’s latest book, Superfood Weeknight Meals and I think once you try one you will be totally hooked too!
I love that strawberry season starts so early here in Southern California. The fresh picked berry stands have been popping up all over the place and I just cannot resist stopping. The berries are so perfectly ripe right now that the juices drip down your arm when you take a bite and the flavor is so intense that we have already greedily eaten our way through an entire flat of berries!
Last summer I made a strawberry tomato sauce from our hoard of berries and my family loved that sweet and savory strawberry action so much so that I have been on the hunt for more savory strawberry studded treats to feast on at meal time this season. The combination of a sandwich with pesto and yummy strawberries was exactly what I was looking for. These melts from Kelly’s book stood out to me immediately and boy do they ever hit the spot!
Kelly is a genius at infusing easy meal time recipes with everyday superfoods that my kids will actually eat. While this sandwich with pesto may look and taste like a decadent splurge they are loaded with superfood power from spinach, citrus and olive oil. The berries flavor is super intense from a quick roast in the oven which plays perfectly off of the slightly tangy pesto, and mellow cheese.
If you’ve tried this Strawberry-Pesto Melt Recipe I would be so grateful if you would rate the recipe and let me know what you think in the comments below. I just love hearing from you and your reviews and comments really help others that visit This Mess is Ours!Print
Superfood Weeknight Meals: Strawberry-Pesto Melt
The pesto recipe makes more than you will need for these sandwiches. Use the extra on pizza, over scrambled eggs, or tossed with pasta!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1/4 cup basil paste or 20 fresh basil leaves
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup spinach pesto
- 6 fresh organic strawberries, sliced
- 8 ounces fontina cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 8 slices of bread of choice
To make the Spinach Pesto
- In a food processor, combine all of the Spinach Pesto ingredients and blend until smooth.
To make the Strawberry-Pesto Melt
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Alternatively, you can use a toaster oven.
- Spread an even layer of Spinach Pesto onto one side of the bread slices and then top with a single layer of strawberries. Add some fontina cheese and a few sprinkles of feta cheese. Top with the other slice of bread and place the sandwiches on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through until the cheese is completely melted and the bread is toasted.
Want to be a part of our online community outside of the blog? It’s easy!! All you have to do is follow @THISMESSISOURS on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, TWITTER, YOUTUBE, or PINTEREST to see cooking demos and peeks into our day to day life.
What are the health benefits of strawberries?
Strawberries are a fabulous source of Vitamin C, antioxidants, and fiber. This low calorie fruit is beneficial in promoting heart health and fighting against cancer.
Click here for more information on the health benefits of strawberries.
Frequently Asked Questions