- 4 cups ten Free and Vegan)”>homemade vegetable stock
- 12–15 saffron threads
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, I used lemon infused olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup frozen artichoke hearts
- 14 ounces fire roasted whole peeled tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped (half of a 28 ounce can)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked Arborio rice
- kosher salt and pepper
- To garnish:
- fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the vegetable broth and saffron in a large microwave safe bowl and cover with plastic wrap or another small plate. Heat the broth and saffron threads for 2 minutes on high and set aside still covered so that it can steep.
- In a large, oven safe skillet (I use a 12-inch skillet for this) heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute the onion, pepper, and garlic, stirring frequently, until the onion is translucent and the peppers have softened, around 6 minutes. Add the tomatoes, and artichoke hearts, and cook for another 3-5 minutes until the artichokes are soft and no longer frozen. Add the tomato paste, paprika, and rice, and stir. Cook, stirring frequently, until the rice begins to turn translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the warmed broth to the skillet and stir until incorporated, season with salt and pepper.
- Bake the paella in the center of the oven, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until all of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice. Turn on the broiler for the last 3 minutes or so, to create a crispy top layer. Serve either hot or warm sprinkled with olives & parsley.
Adapted from : Gluten Free on a Shoestring: Quick and Easy