Orange Spiced Sugar Cookies
My whole life I have been a sugar cookie fanatic – they were always the cookie I chose when my mom let me pick something from the bakery at the grocery store as a kid.
They are simple, but sometimes the best things in life are just that – simple. Not a lot of fuss, definitely not pretentious. They don’t scream “Hey, hey look at me!” they don’t have to, because they are a classic.
These cookies spread so beautifully in the oven creating big, crispy cookies that our entire family loved.
- 3 cups gluten free all purpose flour, I used King Arthur Flour Multi-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1¾ cups granulated sugar
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ tablespoons fresh orange juice
- sparkling sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the flour, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and combine with a whisk.
- Put the sugars and the zest in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium for about 30-45 seconds until thoroughly combined. Add the butter then mix until pale and fluffy; about 1 minute. Add the eggs one at a time, and then the orange juice. Reduce the speed to low then gradually add the flour mixture.
- Use a small cookie scoop to drop the dough onto parchment lined baking sheets, about 1-1/2 tablespoons of dough per cookie, leaving about 3-inches between each cookie. (They spread a lot!) Flatten cookies slightly then sprinkle each one with sparkling sugar.
- Bake the cookies for 15 minutes, until golden, rotating the pans half way through. Transfer the cookies to wire racks using a spatula and let cool completely.