If you are like me than you really aren’t a cake baker, I leave that to my mom. I have never iced a cake and I don’t have the patience to decorate one either, sorry! I love recipes like this simple, rustic, skillet cake. It’s not a looker, but what it lacks in beauty it makes up for in flavor. If you can stir you can make this cake and it will turn out perfect, all in your trusty cast iron skillet. It has an amazing crispy, golden outer layer and a spongy interior that can’t be beat.Print
- 1 cup of sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- Grated zest of 2 Meyer lemons, *1 regular lemon will do if you cannot find Meyer lemons
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. g-free vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. g-free almond extract
- 1 cup Better Batter g-free all purpose flour
- 1 stick (8 Tbsp.) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350° F. Butter a well-seasoned 9-inch cast-iron skillet or other heavy ovenproof skillet or 9-inch cake pan. *If using a cake pan be sure to grease the pan very well or your cake will not release, trust my personal experience on this one.
- In a medium sized bowl mix the sugar and the lemon zest, rubbing the zest into the sugar granules with your fingers, until the sugar is moist and aromatic. Whisk in the eggs one at a time until well blended, add the salt and the extracts and whisk well to mix. Switch to a rubber spatula and stir in the flour, then gently fold in the melted butter until completely incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the skillet and smooth the top with your spatula. Sprinkle the sliced almonds and extra sugar over the top of the cake and place in the oven. *If using a cake pan, place the pan on a baking sheet in the oven instead of directly on the rack.
- Bake the cake for 25-30 minutes, or until it is a beautiful golden color and slightly crisp on the outside. Remove the skillet from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes, then run a thin knife around the sides and the bottom of the cake to loosen it. You can serve the cake warm or cooled, directly from the skillet or turned out onto a serving plate.
- This cake stores really well, unlike some g-free baked goods. Wrap it well and it should keep for 3-5 days at room temperature.