Let’s talk about one of my daughter’s FAVORITE meals: fried rice. Although making it can seem intimidating, this recipe will take away all the guesswork.
Oh yes…easy fried rice you can make in the oven ON a sheet pan!! Hallelujah!!
My daughter is a self professed fried rice “aficionado” (AKA: snob!). She has her favorite restaurants to order from and has never really 100% approved of my fried rice ventures at home until now.
Here’s why I think YOU are going to love this easy Fried Rice recipe too!
- You don’t have to cook and cool rice in advance…the planning for fried rice is really the hardest part for me. Seriously, when the craving for fried rice hits, it HITS HARD. I don’t want it in a few hours after I cook and cool the rice completely. I want it now!
- Don’t you hate standing over a sputtering skillet or wok? It’s just too HOT! All of the magic of this recipe happens in the oven with just a little stirring involved. What a total game changer!
- I find fried rice cooked on the stove top to be a bit greasy for my personal taste. Oven baked Sheet Pan Fried Rice has all of the flavors and texture that we love, without the heavy greasiness.
- It can easily serve as a vegetarian main course. However, if you have a meat eater or two in your crew, it would be amazing paired with this gluten free orange chicken!
If you’ve tried this easy Fried Rice Recipe I would be so grateful if you would rate it. Let me know what you think in the comments below. I just love hearing from you and your reviews and comments really help others that visit This Mess is Ours!Print
Forget making fried rice on the stove top! This oven baked version is easy to make, feeds a crowd, and is pretty darn good for you too!
Don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think about this Easy Sheet Pan Fried Rice in the comments below. I just love hearing from you and your reviews/comments really help other people that visit This Mess is Ours!
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 small zucchini sliced into rounds
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 (8.8-ounce) pouches microwavable rice, I used Uncle Ben’s original
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Tamari or soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 5 large eggs
Optional garnishes: Sriracha mayo, sesame seeds, cilantro, thinly sliced green onions, Thai basil leaves and/or blossoms, Togarashi
Preheat the broiler on high and place a rack in the center of the oven. Place a large sheet pan OR you can use an 18 x 10-inch double burner griddle like I did, in the hot oven for 5 minutes.
Drizzle the oil on the sheet pan and add the zucchini, carrots, and onion. Sprinkle with the salt. Place the pan in the oven and broil for 4 minutes.
Remove from the oven, stir the vegetables and add the rice. Carefully breaking up the rice as you take it out of the packages. Stir to combine then spread into an even layer. Transfer the pan back to the oven and cook under the broiler for 15 minutes, stirring every 3-4 minutes.
Add the garlic, Tamari, and sesame oil to the pan. Stir to coat. Spread back into an even layer then use the back of a spoon to make 5 wells in the rice for the eggs. Crack an egg into each indention.
Reduce the heat of the oven to 400°F and place the pan back into the oven for 7-8 minutes until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny.
To serve drizzle Sriracha mayo over the top of the fried rice then sprinkle with sesame seeds , cilantro, green onion, Thai basil leaves/blossoms, or Togarashi if using.
To make your own Sriracha mayo at home: Stir together 1/3 cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon Sriracha, and 1 tablespoon water.
Want to be a part of our online community outside of the blog? It’s easy!! All you have to do is follow @THISMESSISOURS on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, TWITTER, YOUTUBE, or PINTEREST to see cooking demos and peeks into our day to day life.
Are you loving sheet pan meals? We are too!! Here are a few of our favorites.
Indian Spiced Chickpeas and Eggs || This recipe has perfectly baked eggs nestled in crispy quinoa nests with spice scented chickpeas. This sheet pan meal is great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!!
Vegetarian Sheet Pan Tacos || Hasselback veggies are huge in our house! This sheet pan situation is loaded with perfectly roasted hasselback sweet potatoes nestled in a bed of black beans, roasted tomatoes, and crispy kale. Serve with tortillas for an out of this world Taco Tuesday feast.
What are the health benefits of rice?
Rice is a wonderful food to use especially when you or those you cook for are allergic to wheat, grain, barley, etc. It is packed with a number of nutrients and vitamins, along with loads of fiber. The small amount of carbohydrates and fats also adds to the positive nutrition content of rice.
Click here for more information on the health benefits of rice.
Frequently Asked Questions