A great way to start the day! Peanut butter and strawberries come together in one scrumptious cereal bar.
- 1 cup gluten-free oats
- 1 cup dry roasted, salted peanuts
- 1/4 cup raw pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 2 Tbsp. organic natural peanut butter
- 4 Tbsp. butter or Earth Balance
- 2/3 cup organic brown sugar
- 1/3 cup local, raw honey
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups puffed brown rice cereal, I use Erewhon’s
- 1/2 cup dried strawberries, roughly chopped, I use Nuts.com
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the oats, peanuts, pecans, and flax seeds on the sheet and bake about 8 minutes or until fragrant. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- In a saucepan, bring the peanut butter, sugar, honey, butter or Earth Balance, and salt to a boil over medium heat. Simmer until the sugar dissolves and a light brown caramel forms, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the caramel over the nut and oat mixture. Stir in the brown rice cereal and the strawberries until evenly coated.
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, extend the paper over the sides of the pan to use as a handle later. Pour the cereal mixture into the baking dish and spread out into an even layer. Cover the pan with a second piece of parchment and press down to compress the bars. Let the mixture stand for about 2 hours until firm.
- Discard the top piece of parchment and use the “handles” from the second piece of parchment to gently remove the cereal square from the pan then cut the squares into 12 equal size bars and serve.
- Serving Size: 12