The recipe and post for these Asian Portobello Lettuce Wraps was made in partnership with Pompeian. We received product and compensation in exchange for it. Opinions are always our own. If we don’t love it, you don’t hear about it. Thanks for your continued support!
Confession, I have a house full of mushroom haters! Seriously, not a single person at my table will eat them willingly, yet they devoured every last one of these Asian Portobello Lettuce Wraps without batting an eye. I guess the fact that I didn’t bother to tell them that they were in there probably didn’t hurt either.
Mushrooms are guaranteed to be an ingredient that is trending in the kitchen this year, due to the fact that they have reached ‘superfood’ status! Which is exactly why our friends at Pompeian asked us to explore cooking with them. Honestly, at first I wasn’t too excited about this particular challenge since we aren’t mushroom fans, but once I read up on how good mushrooms are for you I knew we should have been eating them all along anyways!
Mushrooms are rich in the antioxidants which help protect the body from damaging free radicals that can cause conditions like heart disease and cancer. They also protect you against damage from aging and boost your immune system! Which all means I probably need to figure out how to sneak them in more now that I know it’s possible!
Asian Portobello Lettuce Wraps
Not in the mood for lettuce wraps? We also love all of the ingredients in these wraps served in bowls.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
Gluten-Free Hoisin Sauce
- 1/2 cup tamari or gluten-free soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons crunchy natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free red miso
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 2 tablespoons Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced small
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small
- 1 large portobella mushroom cap, stem and gills removed, diced small
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1/2 batch of the hoisin sauce
- 1 (8-ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and diced small
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped raw red walnuts
Wraps + Garnish
- 1 head of bibb, butter, or iceberg lettuce, leaves removed, washed, and thoroughly dried
- Cooked brown rice (optional)
- 3 large carrots cut into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves or cilantro sprouts
- 2–3 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- extra hoisin sauce for drizzling
Gluten-Free Hoisin Sauce
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a food processor fitted with the S-blade or a high-powered blender. Process until all of the ingredients are combined, but the sauce still has visible chunks of peanut in it. Set aside.
- Heat the Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the onion, bell pepper, and mushroom to the pan; stir to combine and spread the filling out in an even layer so the veggies sauté evenly. Cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring once or twice and spreading the filling back out evenly each time. Add the minced ginger and half of the hoisin sauce; stir to combine and cook for 1 minute longer. Stir in the water chestnuts, green onions, and raw walnuts to the pan and cook until the green onions begin to wilt, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
Assemble the Wraps
- Layer lettuce leaves with brown rice (if using), a heaping spoon full of filling and top with carrot ribbons, cilantro, sesame seeds, and a drizzle of the remaining hoisin sauce.