Burger night is one of our favorite night's of the week around here!
I love swapping up the flavors in our veggie burgers based on what is in season and what just happens to be hanging out in my fridge. Honestly, besides the fact that they taste amazing, I am always thrilled with the shear amount of vegetables that I can cram into a veggie burger patty without my kids even realizing it.
These burgers are loaded with my fall favorite flavors like sweet potato and kale along with a dreamy spice blend that really kicks up the flavor profile a few notches. Did I mention that these glorious fall veggie burgers pair quite nicely with an icy cold gluten free beer?Print
Autumn Spiced Veggie Burgers
No kale on hand? Try swapping it with shredded spinach or chard instead.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 5-6 patties 1x
- 2 cups cooked or canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup finely shredded Lacinato kale
- ½ cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup peeled and shredded sweet potato
- ½ cup fresh gluten free bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- pinch of cayenne, optional
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup shredded jalapeno jack cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- gluten free buns
- avocado slices
- red onion slices
- mayo, mustard and ketchup
- Place the beans in a large mixing bowl and roughly mash the beans with a fork. Add the kale and cilantro; stir to combine.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When hot add the shredded sweet potato to the pan and season with salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the potatoes begin to soften and begin to turn golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the breadcrumbs, cinnamon, cumin, nutmeg, cayenne, salt and pepper to taste. Cook stirring continuously for another minute.
- Transfer the cooked mixture to the bowl with the beans and greens. Stir to combine then set aside to rest and cool slightly for 5 minutes. Add the cheese and egg to the bowl and stir to combine. With wet hands shape the mixture into 5-6 patties.
- Pour the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil into the skillet and heat over medium heat. When the oil is hot place the patties into the pan and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Then flip carefully and cook on the other side until firm.
- Serve with toasted gluten free buns and toppings.