As far as we're concerned watermelon is the quintessential fruit of summer! For 3 months out of the year, it reigns supreme on our kitchen table and is at the top of our list for warm weather entertaining. As-is or all dressed up like this watermelon canapés recipe, we just can't get enough!
You just have to try this refreshing and simple canapés recipe!
This sweet and savory bite will have your friends and family raving, and although these watermelon canapés may look like they are hard to make, I assure you that they are deceptively easy to put together.
If you’ve tried this Easy Watermelon Canapés Recipe, I would be so grateful if you would rate it. Let me know what you think in the comments below. I just love hearing from you, and your reviews and comments really help others that visit This Mess is Ours!Print
Easy Watermelon Canapés
Don’t forget to rate the recipe, and let me know what you think about these Easy Watermelon Canapés in the comments below. I just love hearing from you. Your reviews/comments really help other people that visit This Mess is Ours!
- Yield: 2 dozen canapés 1x
For the whipped feta
- ½ pound (8-ounces) block feta, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- ¼ cup cream cheese, softened
- ½ tablespoon heavy cream
- ⅛ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
For the citrus pickled onions
- 1 cup paper thin sliced onions, I use a mandolin for this
- ¾ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
For the canapés
- 1 small seedless watermelon sliced into 1-inch thick slabs, then cut into 2 dozen 1-½ inch rounds. You will have extra watermelon leftover.
- 1 batch whipped feta
- 24 small basil leaves
- 1 English cucumber sliced into thin rounds with a mandolin
- 1 batch citrus pickled onions
- ½ cup pepitas
- 3-4 tablespoons Maldon sea salt
Make the whipped feta
- Remove the feta from the water and discard the soaking liquid.
- Place the feta, cream cheese, heavy cream, olive oil, and lime juice in a food processor fitted with the “ S” blade. Process until smooth. Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a star tip then transfer to the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes to firm up a bit.
Make the citrus pickled onions
- Place the onion slices in a glass or nonreactive container with a lid that fits very well. Add the sliced onions to the container then pour the lime juice over the onions. Place the lid on the container and shake well to make sure that the onions are completely covered by the lime juice. Allow the onions to soak in the lime juice until they are bright pink and pliable, at least 20-30 minutes.The pickles can be made up to 2 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
Build the canapés
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels, place 2 dozen watermelon rounds on the paper towels. The towels will help to soak up any extra juice from the melon. Pipe the whipped feta onto the rounds and top with a basil leaf and a cucumber round. Set aside.
- Using a fork like you would with spaghetti noodles, twirl the onions around the tines of the fork to make little nests. Place an onion nest on top of each watermelon canapé. Sprinkle a few pepitas and a little Maldon salt on each one. Serve immediately.
Want to be a part of our online community outside of the blog? It’s easy!! All you have to do is follow @THISMESSISOURS on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, TWITTER, YOUTUBE, or PINTEREST to see cooking demos and peeks into our day to day life.
What are the health benefits of watermelon?
Staying true to its namesake, watermelon is mostly made of water. This makes it a great source for hydration while also helping to keep you feeling full longer. This low calorie fruit is also packed with various nutrients that are found in most fruits, especially Vitamins A and C which hold antioxidants useful for fighting disease and slowing the aging process.
Click here for more information on the health benefits of watermelon.