The weather has finally shifted here in Long Beach! It actually rained yesterday and this morning it was cold enough to throw on my favorite sweater and boots. I thought I was going to loose my mind when it was over 80 ° and freaking hot on Halloween, so this is a welcome change for sure.
To celebrate the shift in the weather I am going to fire up a big pot of soup and serve it with this Loaded Pumpkin Cornbread for dinner!!
This savory pumpkin cornbread is topped with some of my favorite flavors – red onions, Cotija cheese and lots of pepitas! Fair warning though, the smell as this bad boy cooks away in the oven is straight up intoxicating.Print
This cornbread is the perfect pairing for hearty soups and chili! If you have any leftovers you can cut the cornbread into cubes and toast them for croutons.
- 1 cup fresh or canned pumpkin puree
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups gluten free yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1/2 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onions
- 1/2 cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- 1/3 cup raw pepitas
- Place a 9-inch cast iron skillet or a 2-quart baking dish in the oven and preheat to 400°F.
- Whisk together the pumpkin, buttermilk, olive oil, maple syrup and eggs.
- In a large bowl whisk together the cornmeal, oat flour, gluten free all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix together until just combined.
- Remove the skillet from the oven, and add the butter. When melted completely, brush the sides of the skillet with a pastry brush to make sure that the entire skillet is covered with butter. Pour any extra melted butter in the skillet into the batter and stir quickly to combine.
- Scrape the batter into the hot skillet and top with red onions, cheese and pepitas. Return the skillet to the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, and allow to cool in the pan for at least 20 minutes before serving.