I am admittedly not a big sports fan, but I am a HUMONGOUS fan of game day food - case in point these loaded sweet potato skins!
I mean, what's not to love - crispy roasted sweet potato skins topped with rich walnut taco "meat", black beans, red onions, avocado and cilantro. Topped off with a little salsa and sour cream - to be honest, I could probably eat a whole sheet pan of these by myself.Print
Sweet Potato Skins
Cook once and eat twice! Save the scooped-out flesh of the roasted sweet potatoes for a side dish at dinner another night.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 4-5 servings 1x
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup walnut taco "meat"
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- ½ cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- diced avocado
- lime wedges
- sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F with a rack in the center of the oven.
- Rub the skin of the sweet potatoes with the oil and season liberally with salt and pepper. Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for 40-50 minutes until fork-tender. Allow to cool completely. Split each sweet potato in half lengthwise, and scoop out the fresh leaving a ¼-inch border all the way around the sweet potato. Reserve the scooped out flesh for another meal.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place a baking rack on a rimmed baking sheet then arrange the potato skins skin side up on the rack. bake until the skins are lightly browned, 20-30 minutes. Let cool completely then cut each half in thirds.
- Arrange the pieces skin side down on the rack then sprinkle with the walnut taco "meat", black beans, red onion and cheese. Bake until the cheese melts, 8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with desired toppings to serve.
Suzanne Renae says
Not sure why making sweet potato skins instead of regular potato ones has never occurred to me. I must admit that I would probably use meat, but I like having the alternative option.
Suzanne, my daughter piled her sweet potato high with shredded chicken too and was raving about it! We have an eclectic household with meat and vegetable lovers alike so most of our recipes will work well with a meaty addition. Hope you enjoy them!
Pippa Clark says
It takes two hours to make these sweet potato skins?? Isn't it a little too long?
There is an initial bake time for the sweet potties of about an hour - Then 2 shorter bake times to crisp up those skins. I like to do the initial baking of the sweet potatoes a day or two in advance. 🙂
Perfect party food too! 🙂
I totally agree! 🙂
Potato skins of any kind have me swooning!! I am in love!