I am admittedly not a big sports fan, but I am a HUMONGOUS fan of game day food - case in point these loaded sweet potato skins!
I mean, what's not to love - crispy roasted sweet potato skins topped with rich walnut taco "meat", black beans, red onions, avocado and cilantro. Topped off with a little salsa and sour cream - to be honest, I could probably eat a whole sheet pan of these by myself.Print
Sweet Potato Skins
Cook once and eat twice! Save the scooped-out flesh of the roasted sweet potatoes for a side dish at dinner another night.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 4-5 servings 1x
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup walnut taco "meat"
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- ½ cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- diced avocado
- lime wedges
- sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F with a rack in the center of the oven.
- Rub the skin of the sweet potatoes with the oil and season liberally with salt and pepper. Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for 40-50 minutes until fork-tender. Allow to cool completely. Split each sweet potato in half lengthwise, and scoop out the fresh leaving a ¼-inch border all the way around the sweet potato. Reserve the scooped out flesh for another meal.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place a baking rack on a rimmed baking sheet then arrange the potato skins skin side up on the rack. bake until the skins are lightly browned, 20-30 minutes. Let cool completely then cut each half in thirds.
- Arrange the pieces skin side down on the rack then sprinkle with the walnut taco "meat", black beans, red onion and cheese. Bake until the cheese melts, 8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with desired toppings to serve.