All of the sudden my little fruit bandit has become quite the picky eater. He has decided that the only things he wants to eat are slices of gluten free pizza, french fries, potato chips, and smoothies with an occasional exception for strawberries or an avocado. I know that this is just a phase and I am trying not to make a big deal about it.
I have purposely run out of chips, I am avoiding driving by In-N-Out, and I haven’t made the call for gluten free pizza in a few weeks. He will eat a little at dinner each night lately but then he starts saying the he is hungry and really wants some chips. That is when I whip out the smoothie card.
I figured out a few weeks ago that he liked smoothies with kale in them as I was cooking my way through The Blender Girl’s cookbook. He has been going crazy for her Tastes-Like -Ice-Cream-Kale Smoothie and so I have been trying out a few new smoothies of my own that sneak some extra veggies in.
He LOVED this combination of lite coconut milk, mango, and pineapple in what he is now calling “Mama’s Mango Tango Smoothie”! (I may have planted the seed for the name as he sat dancing when he drank it the first time I made it…) I added cashews and hemp hearts for a little extra protein as well as banana and dates for sweetness. He gets a sweet treat style tropical smoothie and I get him to eat some fruit and vegetables. Total win for both of us!
- 1 cup canned lite coconut milk
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews, soaked for 2–4 hours and drained
- 1 heaping tablespoon hemp hearts, optional
- 1 cup baby kale
- 1 cup cubed fresh mango
- 1 frozen banana cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen pineapple
- 1/4 cup chopped & pitted Medjool dates
- 1 cup ice
- 1/2 teaspoon hemp hearts
- Combine all of the ingredients in your blender in the order listed above. Blend until smooth, stopping to scrape the sides of the blender if necessary. Pour into two glasses and top each with 1/2 teaspoon of hemp hearts, if desired.
Hungry for more smoothie action? Check out this Strawberry, Coconut, & Lime Smoothie that I shared on Oh My Veggies last week. It’s a new family favorite too!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, I may get a small commission if you decide to purchase a product through one of those links. This revenue makes it possible for me to continue to provide you with great recipes and maintain this site. Thank you for supporting us here at Beard and Bonnet!