My whole life I have been a sugar cookie fanatic - they were always the cookie I chose when my mom let me pick something from the bakery at the grocery store as a kid.
They are simple, but sometimes the best things in life are just that - simple. Not a lot of fuss, definitely not pretentious. They don't scream "Hey, hey look at me!" they don't have to, because they are a classic.
These cookies spread so beautifully in the oven creating big, crispy cookies that our entire family loved.Print
Orange Sugar Cookies
Sugar cookies are great on their own, but make really incredible ice cream sandwiches too!
- Yield: 4 dozen 1x
- 3 cups gluten free all purpose flour, I used King Arthur Flour Multi-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ¾ cups granulated sugar
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh orange juice
- sparkling sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the flour, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and combine with a whisk.
- Put the sugars and the zest in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium for about 30-45 seconds until thoroughly combined. Add the butter then mix until pale and fluffy; about 1 minute. Add the eggs one at a time, and then the orange juice. Reduce the speed to low then gradually add the flour mixture.
- Use a small cookie scoop to drop the dough onto parchment lined baking sheets, about 1-½ tablespoons of dough per cookie, leaving about 3-inches between each cookie. (They spread a lot!) Flatten cookies slightly then sprinkle each one with sparkling sugar.
- Bake the cookies for 15 minutes, until golden, rotating the pans half way through. Transfer the cookies to wire racks using a spatula and let cool completely.