No kale on hand? Try swapping it with shredded spinach or chard instead.
- 2 cups cooked or canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup finely shredded Lacinato kale
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup peeled and shredded sweet potato
- 1/2 cup fresh gluten free bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- pinch of cayenne, optional
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded jalapeno jack cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- gluten free buns
- avocado slices
- red onion slices
- mayo, mustard and ketchup
- Place the beans in a large mixing bowl and roughly mash the beans with a fork. Add the kale and cilantro; stir to combine.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When hot add the shredded sweet potato to the pan and season with salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the potatoes begin to soften and begin to turn golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the breadcrumbs, cinnamon, cumin, nutmeg, cayenne, salt and pepper to taste. Cook stirring continuously for another minute.
- Transfer the cooked mixture to the bowl with the beans and greens. Stir to combine then set aside to rest and cool slightly for 5 minutes. Add the cheese and egg to the bowl and stir to combine. With wet hands shape the mixture into 5-6 patties.
- Pour the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil into the skillet and heat over medium heat. When the oil is hot place the patties into the pan and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Then flip carefully and cook on the other side until firm.
- Serve with toasted gluten free buns and toppings.