This cornbread is the perfect pairing for hearty soups and chili! If you have any leftovers you can cut the cornbread into cubes and toast them for croutons.
- 1 cup fresh or canned pumpkin puree
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups gluten free yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1/2 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onions
- 1/2 cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- 1/3 cup raw pepitas
- Place a 9-inch cast iron skillet or a 2-quart baking dish in the oven and preheat to 400°F.
- Whisk together the pumpkin, buttermilk, olive oil, maple syrup and eggs.
- In a large bowl whisk together the cornmeal, oat flour, gluten free all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix together until just combined.
- Remove the skillet from the oven, and add the butter. When melted completely, brush the sides of the skillet with a pastry brush to make sure that the entire skillet is covered with butter. Pour any extra melted butter in the skillet into the batter and stir quickly to combine.
- Scrape the batter into the hot skillet and top with red onions, cheese and pepitas. Return the skillet to the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, and allow to cool in the pan for at least 20 minutes before serving.