- 2 pounds Russet potatoes, scrubbed, peeled, and cut into similar size chunks
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- 6 ounces full fat coconut milk, half of one can
- 1/2 cup chopped caramelized onions
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, optional
- 1 heaping tablespoon thinly sliced chives
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon thinly sliced chives
- Place the prepared potatoes in a large pot and fill with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until the potatoes fall apart when pierced with a fork, about 20-25 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking heat a small saucepan over low heat with the vegan butter and coconut milk until melted and completely combined. Keep warm.
- When the potatoes are ready drain them into a colander and pour them back into the pot.
- Pour half of the warm coconut milk mixture over the potatoes and mash with a potato masher until smooth adding more of the coconut milk mixture as needed to reach desired consistency.
- Fold in the caramelized onions, nutritional yeast, and chives until incorporated. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with the additional chives if desired.
Cook time does not include the time it takes to caramelize the onions.