Mashed potatoes are one of my favorite Thanksgiving side dishes! To be totally honest I could eat mashed potatoes any meal of the year. I just love them! When I was a kid I would pile 3 servings of mashed potatoes on my plate the first trip through the Thanksgiving buffet at my grandparents house. I can vividly remember my grandmother eying my plate, in retrospect she was probably slightly annoyed that I skipped everything else she had slaved over for days. I couldn’t resist though, they were so good, and she never said anything to me about it.
Over the years I have grown to appreciate all of the offerings around our Thanksgiving table, but the mash is still the first thing I set my sights on. This year I decided to experiment with vegan mashed potatoes – mainly so I had an excuse to eat more mashed potatoes before Thanksgiving, but also because our vegan and dairy free friends need killer mashed potatoes too! These potatoes are insanely good – the butter and cream is replaced with a combination of coconut milk and vegan butter then lots of caramelized onions are mixed in along with fresh chives and seasonings. I promise when you taste these you will be going back for seconds and thirds!
In case you are looking for a time saving tip on this one you can make the caramelized onions a few days in advance and store them in the refrigerator until ready to use.Print
Ultimate Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- Yield: 6-8 as a side 1x
- 2 pounds Russet potatoes, scrubbed, peeled, and cut into similar size chunks
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- 6 ounces full fat coconut milk, half of one can
- 1/2 cup chopped caramelized onions
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, optional
- 1 heaping tablespoon thinly sliced chives
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon thinly sliced chives
- Place the prepared potatoes in a large pot and fill with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until the potatoes fall apart when pierced with a fork, about 20-25 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking heat a small saucepan over low heat with the vegan butter and coconut milk until melted and completely combined. Keep warm.
- When the potatoes are ready drain them into a colander and pour them back into the pot.
- Pour half of the warm coconut milk mixture over the potatoes and mash with a potato masher until smooth adding more of the coconut milk mixture as needed to reach desired consistency.
- Fold in the caramelized onions, nutritional yeast, and chives until incorporated. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with the additional chives if desired.
Cook time does not include the time it takes to caramelize the onions.